Tuesday 26 November 2013

Always Strive for Improvement

This past weekend marked yet another excellent clinic from Sensei Higashi, the head of Canadian Chito Ryu Karate.  Sensei Higashi visits Nova Scotia twice a year for a 3 day clinic.  I attended a two hour class Friday night, 5 hours on Saturday and another 3 hours on Sunday.

I have always thoroughly enjoyed the information gleaned from these clinics but thought of the classes as a chore due to being overweight.  The problem of being overweight is that you get tired doing the simplest things and 10 hours of karate can be a killer.  When you are tired it is hard to practice well or learn anything.

I installed the MyFitnessPal app on my iPod back in May and, with the help of this little app and some will power, managed to lose 37 pounds over the past 6 months.  That has put a spring back in my step when it comes to activities in which I am participating such as this clinic.

Not only was the clinic not a chore but I enjoyed it thoroughly and since I had more energy I was able to really put a lot into the classes.  I really felt that the more I put into the class the more I was getting out of it.  The key lesson being to work hard at everything you do.  Always strive for improvement whether it is taking off a few of those extra pounds or improving your hip rotation during gyaku-tsuki.  If I can do it, so can you!

No comments:

Post a Comment